The email notifications tool allows you to broadcast e-mail messages to all members of your website. The email system is set to check for email blasts once an hour. That means you may get lucky and submit a minute or so before the system checks, or you may have to wait 59 minutes. The sender will receive an email providing a summary of the number of emails sent successfully.
When you first open the Email Module, you will be faced with three tabs labeled:
- E-mails - See below
- Recipient Groups - This is where you can assign members to various Recipient Groups
- Email Lists - Here you can upload Email lists. FYI: This is capped at under 500 names. The reason for this is that you can get your website & email blacklisted as being a spammer if you are not careful. We strongly recommend using a third party email blast system if you are sending out unsolicited email/marketing promotions.
- Email Logs - searchable log of all emails sent by your website
- Subscribe - provides a way to search/ set user subscribe settings
The email notifications tool allows you to broadcast e-mail messages to all members of your website.
To send an email to all members
Click on the "add new" icon at the bottom of your list of emails. This will give you a form to fill out the details of your email message. The fields have the following meanings:
- "inactive" messages are ignored by the system. Set this if you want to keep a message in the system, but not send it out until you are ready. Otherwise, the system will assume the message is "active" and ready to be sent.
- Send on
- Set the date to send the message here. It defaults to today, but can be set to some date the future, if a scheduled mail-out is desired. If set to some date in the past, the message will be sent ASAP. (Messages are generally sent out on a regular schedule of every 15 minutes or so.)
- Send to members of
- The message will be sent to all members of the selected site.
- This defaults to your email address, but can be changed if necessary. Note that some spam filters may filter out these messages, because they are sent from your website, not from your email account. That can look suspicious from a spam filter's point of view, so there is no guarantee that all your members will receive the message.
- Add additional email addresses to send to, here. Separate multiple email addresses with a comma.
- This is the subject line of the email.
- This is the body of the email. Full HTML editing is allowed.
- You can optionally include attachments with your email. Attachment descriptions are optional.
To edit an existing email
Click on the "edit" icon to the right of the given email. Your email will come up in a form similar to that described above.
To re-use a previous email
Click on the "edit" icon to the right of the given email. Edit it as needed, and change the "Send on" date to today or later.
To delete an email
Click on the "delete" icon to the right of the given email. You will be prompted to confirm the deletion of the email and its attachments.
To send a scheduled email
Simply set the "Send on" date to the date you want the email to go out on.
To send personalized emails
In the email body, use "[[name]]" where you would like the member's name to be inserted. Similarly, you can use "[[login]]" and "[[password]]" to insert personalized login information.
In the email body use:
[[EMAIL]] - recipient's email address
[[NAME]] - first and last name combined
[[MEMBERSHIP_DATE]] - date of their last membership status change
To add more than 3 attachments to an email
ExSite allows you to add up to three attachments when you first create the email, but it is possible to add more in cases where that is not enough.
Click on the "edit" icon to the right of the given email. At the bottom of the next page you will see a list of the attachments. Click on the "add attachment" button to add another. Repeat as often as necessary.
For Canadian Clients Only
Canadian Anti Spam Legislation Features — "CASL- smart" Email Distribution Module
- All emails have an 'unsubscribe' link (as they always have) and your organization's contact info (new CASL requirement). The point size of the unsubscribe link has been increased (new CASL requirement).
- Member Profiles have an unsubscribe setting that the member and admin can edit (as it did in the past)
- Email Distribution module is 'CASL-smart' and will only send commercial emails to people in the recipient list that meet CASL guidelines. During preview, the system will show a list of all recipients who will not get the email due to the CASL filter.
- Email Distribution module has a new tab (Subscribe) that allows admin to quickly subscribe/unsubscribe members and non-members. This automatically updates the member's "I consent to receive communications" field.
- Admins will be able to bypass this 'CASL-smart' filter by clicking a button that says it's a non-commercial email. NOTE: it is the admin's responsibility to ensure CASL laws are being followed.
How system works with uploaded lists:
Uploaded lists include email addresses. The system looks up those email addresses in the system database and determines which ones have consent and which ones have opted out (done in real-time, every time the list is selected). If the email address is not in the database then the system assumes there is no consent and that the person has not opted out.
- If the message is marked as commercial, then CASL smart filtering is used, and people without consent do not get the email and people who have opted out do not get the email.
- If the message is marked as non-commercial, then CASL smart filtering is not used. Everyone will get the email except the people that have been identified as having opted out/unsubscribed.